of the Competition
WHO IS ELIGIBLE
1. The competition for the Kingston Prize
for Contemporary Canadian Portraiture is open
to Canadian artists. For the purposes of this
competition, "Canadian" shall, in
every instance, be interpreted to mean a Canadian
citizen or permanent resident (landed immigrant)
of Canada. Employees and Board members of
the Kingston Arts Council, members of the
2005 Kingston Prize Steering Committee, and
the Jury, are not eligible.
WHAT IS ELIGIBLE
2. Each artist may enter one portrait.
3. For the purposes of this competition, "portrait"
shall be interpreted to mean a picture of
a person or persons. Group portraits and self-portraits
4. To be eligible for the competition, an
entry must be an original portrait that:
- is a portrait of a Canadian person or
- is made from life, i.e. the subject must
"sit" for the artist;
- is comprised mainly of painted media;
- has dimensions, including the frame,
no larger than 200 centimetres height ´
150 centimetres width ´ 10 centimetres
- has been produced during the 24 months
preceding July 1, 2005.
PROCEDURES FOR ENTERING
5. To enter the competition, an artist must
send the following materials to the Kingston
Arts Council office:
- A completed entry form, including statements
signed by the artist and by the subject
(the form is available at the website listed
- One professional quality 35 mm slide
of the completed painting, clearly labeled
on the base side (the side with the shiny
surface of the film) with the name of the
artist, and a red dot in the lower left
hand corner when viewed in the correct orientation;
- The non-refundable entry fee of $25.00
by money order or certified cheque payable
to Kingston Arts Council;
- A self-addressed stamped postcard for
confirmation of receipt;
- A self-addressed stamped envelope, if
return of the slide is desired.
6. Entries must be either (a) received at
the Kingston Arts Council office before 5.00
pm June 30, 2005, or (b) if sent by mail or
courier, must be postmarked before that deadline.
<to the top>
7. From the slides submitted, the jury will
select a shortlist of paintings to be included
in the Kingston Prize Exhibition. The jury
will notify the artists who submitted the
selected paintings by August 12, 2005, with
instructions and address for shipping or delivery
of the paintings.
8. The paintings selected for the Exhibition
must be shipped or delivered to Kingston,
Ontario, to arrive on or before September
9. The artist is responsible for all charges
relating to delivery of the painting both
to and from Kingston. No painting will be
accepted without evidence of either prepayment
of the return delivery, or another suitable
arrangement for return of the painting.
10. Paintings must be suitably equipped
for hanging, and must be clearly identified
with the name of the artist on the back.
11. An exhibition fee based on CARFAC rate
guidelines will be paid for every painting
12. The jury will choose the winner of the
Kingston Prize after viewing the paintings
received, and the Prize will be awarded at
a public reception during the exhibition.
13. The decisions of the jury are final
and no correspondence will be entered into.
14. Kingston Arts Council will take all due
care with the paintings received, but will
not be responsible for any loss or damage
to artworks whatsoever, however caused, while
in its custody. Each entrant is responsible
for maintaining his/her own insurance coverage.
15. Paintings must be available continuously
for exhibition for a period of at least two
months, and will be returned at the end of
16. Entrants shall allow the Kingston Arts
Council to photograph their works while in
its custody, and to reproduce their work by
print or electronic means for the purposes
of documentation and archiving of the exhibition,
and for advertising the competition, including
subsequent catalogues, brochures and posters.
17. Following are the significant dates.
The Kingston Arts Council reserves the right
to make small adjustments to these dates.
June 30, 2005 - Closing
date for receipt, or postmark, of applications.
August 12, 2005 - Announcement
of shortlist for exhibition.
September 23, 2005 - Deadline
for delivery of paintings to Kingston.
October, 2005 - Exhibition
and awarding of the Kingston Prize.
Postal address: Kingston Arts Council, Street
address: 189 Sydenham Street
P.O. Box 1005 Kingston
Kingston, ON K7L 4X8
English Website: www.artskingston.com/kingstonprize/main.html
French Website: www.artskingston.com/leprixdekingston/prix.html
Phone: (613) 546-2787
Email: [email protected]
<to the top>